Hiring Cheap Movers Could End Up Costing You More
Moving is stressful. A big part of that stress is having to select a moving company. It is a big decision choosing the right company that you feel comfortable handling your personal belongings. A lot of people choose their moving solely based on price. Being in the business since 1938, we at Highland have heard a lot of horror stories, and we can tell you that price is not the best way to choose a mover. In fact, choosing a cheap moving company may end up costing you more in the end, financially and mentally.
Be Aware of Scammers
There are lots of ways to moving companies to scam you. You see them on the news from time to time. Here are a couple of the most common scams.
- Charging a Deposit and Pulling a No Show: Most moving companies require a deposit to hold a crew and a truck for you on moving day. Many fly by night moving companies will charge and accept your deposit and then not show up. We often get phone calls from people saying “my moving company never showed up and I need to be out of my home today – help!”
- Holding Belongings Hostage: Another common scam is that illegitimate moving companies will lowball your quote to get the job. Then once they have your belongings on the truck, they come up with a number of additional charges that they require you to pay before anything is offloaded. No one wants to pay an arm and a leg to move, however an obviously low rate (compared to other quotes) is probably not a good deal. It’s a warning sign.
Highland Moving & Storage
We are trained professionals with 79 years experience in the moving industry. Our affiliations and accreditations prove we have a high standard of quality and fairness.
- An A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau
- Member of United Van Lines (Canada)
- Member of the Canadian Association of Movers
Our Advice to You
Obviously we would like you to choose Highland for your next move. We also feel that no matter who you choose, as an industry leader we need to help educate the consumer. Here are some points we believe you should take into consideration the next time you are shopping for a moving company.
- A lot of moving companies build their reputations off of word of mouth referrals. Check with family, friends and coworkers.
- Make sure a moving company is established. Are they actually a registered legal business? Do they have a legitimate name, website, address, and phone number? A great way to check this out is to look them up online. Check their address and check Google Maps. Is it a professional office/warehouse, or are they running a moving company out of their basement? It is also a good idea to check for professional affiliations, like the BBB.
- Get every estimate in writing. When you book your move make sure you get a contract in writing as well. There should be proper, signed paperwork from the company.
- Check out review websites. A great one for moving companies is My Moving Reviews.
Contact Us to Request Your FREE Moving Estimate!