As a matter of public safety, governments at all levels have passed legislation restricting the transportation of dangerous goods. Some commodities may be included in your shipment under controlled conditions; others are prohibited by law. In either case, you must disclose to the van operator every item which poses a hazard and which you intend to include with your shipment.
Carriers such as moving companies van lines are required by the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act to accept responsibility for the final decision whether any particular item can be safely included in your shipment. If your van operator feels it presents a danger to himself, his personnel, his vehicle or is contents, the law requires him to refuse to ship the item.
In order to prepare you in advance; we have developed the following lists of dangerous household commodities; some may be shipped and some may not. The items that are allowed to be included in your shipment must be handled according to the instructions listed under Allowable Dangerous Goods.
For those items which we cannot ship, it will be your responsibility to dispose of them before you move. Your van operator cannot do this for you. Most municipal landfill sites have the facilities to handle dangerous goods. Please do not attempt to conceal them within your shipment; this could place the van and its contents in serious danger; and also invalidate your liability protection.
Allowable Dangerous Goods
- Household cleaners such as Ajax , Mr. Clean, Spic’n’Span
- Nail polish, polish remover and perfume
- Art supplies except those that are flammable, chemicals for photographic hobby
These allowable items must be packed in a carton clearly marked “Consumer Commodity – Dangerous Goods Exempt”. The carton must be pointed out to the van operator at the time of loading. You must declare that these are the only dangerous goods (as defined in the Act) that are included in your shipment; this declaration is included on your bill of lading.
Prohibited Dangerous Goods
Gases & Propellants
- Gasoline, propane, kerosene, naphtha, lighter fluid
- Liquefied petroleum gases of all types
- Aerosol cans not classified as personal toiletries
- Barbecue tanks, oxygen, helium, acetylene
- Butane lighters
- Fire extinguishers
- Blasting caps
- Industrial explosives
- Detonation devices
- Solid fuel & BBQ starter tablets
- Hay, straw, wood chips
- Oily rags
Yard & Gardening Supplies
- Pesticides containing a base of arsenic, strychnine or cyanide
- Fertilizers containing ammonium nitrate
- Pool chemicals
- Wood preservatives
- Battery alkaline or acid (except car battery installed in a car being shipped)
- Bleach & peroxide
- Cleaning fluids such as ammonia, verso, turpentine
- Pesticides, herbicides & fumigants
- Oven cleaner, lye or acids
- Oil-based paints & thinners
- Chemistry sets
- Any flammable items