5 Easy Ways to Prepare your Home for Colder Weather
September 6th, 2013 8:55 pm by admin
With the summer months ending in Alberta, now is a great time to start preparing your home for the cooler and sometimes unpredictable weather that comes our way. Whether you are a first time home buyer or just moved into a new neighborhood this time of the year is the perfect time to take care of the minor things around the home as they can make a big difference on your life and your finances. The following five tips are a great reminders on how to easily prepare your home for the colder weather.
1. Check your home for drafts. During this time of the year, examine each window and door within your home for any unusual cracks. By sealing the breaks properly you will stay warmer, reduce energy consumption and save on your heating bill.
2. Check the heating system. Complete a survey of your home’s heating vents to ensure they are not blocked or covered by household items such as carpeting or furniture. Make sure all the vents are dusted and the filters are clean. This is also a good time to make an appointment to schedule for your annual furnace system check-up.
3. Clear out the gutters outside. Fall is the perfect season to remove all leaves and other debris from your gutters. By doing so, you will prevent clogging in the winter months which could potentially lead to more severe damage.
4. Drain outdoor faucets. Make sure all outdoor faucets and hoses are drained completely in the fall time. This will ensure no harm is done to them home during the winter months.
5. Clean the fireplace(s). This is another good time of the year to have a professional come in and clean out and inspect your chimney. Ensure that the professional inspects the damper to ensure it can be tightly closed to prevent cold drafts from occurring.